Gloucester Marine Genomics Institute (GMGI) is an exciting independent marine research institute that is addressing critical challenges facing our oceans, human health, and the environment through innovative scientific research and education. Our research strategy uses molecular and genomic technologies to address questions related to Oceans and Human Health with three main focus areas (1) Marine Biomedicine & Biotechnology, (2) Ecosystem Function & Health and (3) Fisheries & Aquaculture. We are looking for a highly innovative and motivated Research Associate with experience in cell culture, molecular biology, genomics, and bioinformatics to contribute to our research program related to the discovery of novel genes, pathways, and organisms with applications in biomedicine and biotechnology. Current focus is on developing functional genomic tools to promote marine animals as models for biomedical research with emphasis on mechanisms of healthy aging, tissue regeneration, and resistance to cancer.
The ideal candidate will have excellent attention to detail, strong communication skills and the ability to work with a variety of collaborators from academia and industry. This position is an extraordinary opportunity for an innovative and entrepreneurial person who is excited to be part of a team building a world-class research institute.
- Develop and characterize primary and established cell lines, including embryonic stem cells, from marine organisms, with an initial focus on sea urchins
- Optimize growth conditions using metabolomic, proteomic and transcriptomic approaches
- Cell line engineering using transfection (e.g. electroporation, lipid-mediated) and CRISPR genome editing approaches
- DNA/RNA isolations, PCR/qPCR, DNA/RNA sequencing, molecular cloning
- Microscopy including fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH), immunocytochemistry and karyotype analysis
- Optimization of cryopreservation techniques and maintenance of cryopreserved samples
- Handling and maintenance of aquatic animals
- Contribute to preparation of reports and publication of results in scientific journals
- Contribute to grant writing and fund-raising efforts
- Mentor interns as needed
- B.S. or M.S. in Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology or related field
- Experience generating and culturing primary and established cell lines, and methods for genetic manipulation of cells in culture
- Experience with standard Molecular Biology techniques, including DNA/RNA sequencing, PCR/qPCR
- Familiarity with CRISPR gene editing is a plus
- Experience with brightfield and fluorescence microscopy
- Strong computational skills and experience with standard bioinformatic and statistic software packages
- Ability to work independently to conduct high-quality research
- Attention to detail and strong problem-solving skills
- Maintain meticulous lab records in electronic laboratory notebook format
- Excellent organization skills and the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills and ability to present work to both scientific and general audiences
- Enthusiasm and commitment to GMGI’s mission for science and education
This position will report to the Science Director.
It's our goal as an employer to provide an enriching and supportive environment for our employees. We are proud to offer a benefit package that includes:
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Medical and Dependent Flex Spending Accounts
- Long Term Disability
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- 403(b) Retirement Plan
- 10 Paid Holidays
How to apply: Please apply on our webpage gmgi.bamboohr.com/jobs
Applicants must be authorized to work in the US.
Gloucester Marine Genomics Institute (GMGI) was launched in 2013 in the belief that the ocean represents a new source of opportunity. As a not-for-profit whose ambitious mission is to “address critical challenges facing our oceans, human health and the environment through innovative scientific research and education” GMGI is demonstrating that there is vast potential in marine science discovery powered by genomics.
GMGI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and all aspects of employment are based on merit, competence, performance and business need.
In addition to researching diversity in our oceans, GMGI is committed to supporting diversity in our workforce and classrooms. We know that having varied backgrounds and experiences stimulates discussion and new ideas. We are committed to taking action on diversity, equity, and inclusion through providing substantial training opportunities to increase our self-awareness as an organization, and building a team of staff and students from uniquely different backgrounds.
Please visit our website for more information: www.gmgi.org