Gloucester Marine Genomics Institute (GMGI) is an exciting independent marine research institute with a mission to address critical challenges facing our oceans, human health, and the environment through innovative scientific research and education. GMGI is seeking a Research Scientist to lead an independent research program that aligns with our mission within our Biomedicine & Biotechnology focus area. It is envisioned that this program will include cutting edge molecular and/or computational approaches to address research questions at the intersection of oceans and human health with translational outcomes. For example, innovative approaches to accelerate the discovery of new marine organisms, processes, and products with applications in biotechnology and/or human health would be a good fit. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated excellence in research, a strong publication record and a history of successfully awarded grants. We will consider scientists at all career levels, but particularly encourage applications from scientists with established research programs that fit GMGI’s mission.
The ideal candidate will have strong leadership skills, excellent communication skills and an interest in translating research discoveries into practical applications. This represents an extraordinary opportunity for a motivated and entrepreneurial scientist to help build GMGI into a world-class research institute
- Develop and lead a research program using innovative ‘omics, molecular biology, synthetic biology, or computational approaches to address important questions related to oceans and human health
- Build a research group and establish collaborations with leading academic and industry partners
- Identify promising discoveries with translational potential and work with GMGI’s Commercialization Advisory Committee to protect, evaluate and develop these discoveries
- Publish results in leading scientific journals and present results at scientific conferences
- Take a leading role in identifying new funding opportunities and grant writing to support research efforts
- Assist with institutional fund-raising and outreach efforts, give presentations to stakeholders, donors, and general audiences
- Supervise research staff and interns
- PhD in a relevant field such as Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Marine Biology, Bioinformatics
- History of success in leading research projects with a track record of acquiring external research funding through grants or other sources
- Research area that is suitable for NIH grant funding is particularly desirable
- Strong publication record representing innovative, high-quality research
- Knowledge of intellectual property protection and the process of commercializing research outcomes
- Excellent communication, teamwork, and leadership skills
- Enthusiasm and commitment to GMGI’s mission for science and education
This position will report to the Science Director.
Salary commensurate with experience.
It's our goal as an employer to provide an enriching and supportive environment for our employees. We are proud to offer a benefit package that includes:
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Medical and Dependent Flex Spending Accounts
- Long Term Disability
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- 403(b) Retirement Plan
- 10 Paid Holidays
To apply, please visit https://gmgi.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=28
Applicants must be authorized to work in the US.
Gloucester Marine Genomics Institute (GMGI) was launched in 2013 in the belief that the ocean represents a new source of opportunity. As a not-for-profit whose ambitious mission is to “address critical challenges facing our oceans, human health and the environment through innovative scientific research and education” GMGI is demonstrating that there is vast potential in marine science discovery powered by genomics. Our science strategy is based on a platform of advanced ‘omics technologies with three focus areas (1) Biotechnology & Biomedicine, (2) Ecosystem Function & Health and (3) Fisheries & Aquaculture.
GMGI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and all aspects of employment are based on merit, competence, performance and business need.
In addition to researching diversity in our oceans, GMGI is committed to supporting diversity in our workforce and classrooms. We know that having varied backgrounds and experiences stimulates discussion and new ideas. We are committed to taking action on diversity, equity, and inclusion through providing substantial training opportunities to increase our self-awareness as an organization, and building a team of staff and students from uniquely different backgrounds. Please visit our website for more information: www.gmgi.org